Choosing products to design resilient buildings
Specify mold-, mildew- and moisture-resistant products to ensure a long life for any type of building
Mold, mildew and moisture can spell danger for a building and its occupants. Water damage can diminish structural integrity, and the resulting mold and mildew can pollute the air inside. Selecting resilient building materials is key to the long-term viability of any building, whether it’s a hospital, office or high-rise condominium.
National Gypsum Company provides select high-performance products manufactured by its affiliate companies Gold Bond Building Products, PermaBASE Building Products and ProForm Finishing Products to create resilient buildings. This article will explore products with mold, mildew and moisture resistance that can be an integral part of protecting the building owner’s investment and keeping maintenance costs to a minimum.
Let’s start from the outside and work our way inside to better understand how moisture, mold and mildew resistance have been engineered into nearly every product we provide, from exterior sheathing to interior finishing compounds.
Start with exterior wall sheathing that stands up to whatever Mother Nature throws at it.
Commercial building projects must endure varying weather conditions while the building is under construction. Add the typical delays and supply chain issues, and an unclad building could spend quite some time getting baked by the sun or lashed by rain and wind.
With Gold Bond® eXP® Sheathing, backed by a 12-month exposure warranty, the project team can rest easy knowing it can resist the elements.
The eXP Sheathing exposure warranty is backed by these innovations:
- PURPLE Fiberglass Mat – Encases the board face, back and sides
- Sealed Surface Technology – Provides ease of use and advanced protection
- Moisture- and Mold-Resistant Core – Scores a 10, the best possible score, on ASTM D3273, the Standard Test Method for Resistance to Growth of Mold on the Surface of Interior Coatings in an Environmental Chamber
In addition to moisture, mold and mildew resistance, eXP Sheathing is easy to handle and has GridMarX® installation guide marks, a productivity feature that speeds up installation and saves on labor and materials.
Choose roof boards with advanced wind uplift and hail resistance features.
Whether you need to protect against mold, mildew, moisture, or hail damage, DEXcell® Roof Board products answer the call.
DEXcell FA VSH™ Glass Mat Roof Board ensures the safety of occupants and protects the building contents.
- Maximum Hail and Puncture Resistance – Meets Factory Mutual Very Severe Hail requirements and can withstand a 2-inch ice ball traveling 106 miles per hour with single-ply membranes in the FM Test Standard 4473
- Ideal for High-Wind Areas – The roof assembly protects from wind uplift
- Fire Protection – Provides an excellent fire and thermal barrier with a FM Class 1/UL Class A fire rating
- Mold, Mildew and Moisture Resistance – Scores the best possible score, a 10, on ASTM D3273
For projects in locations where very severe hail isn’t a concern, National Gypsum provides three roof board options for optimal mold, moisture and fire and wind resistance.
- DEXcell® Glass Mat Roof Board – Mechanically attached roof systems
- DEXcell FA™ Glass Mat Roof Board – Adhered roof systems
- DEXcell® Cement Roof Board – High moisture environments (both adhered and mechanically attached)
Select interior gypsum boards with enhanced mold, mildew and moisture resistance features.
Gold Bond eXP® Interior Extreme® Gypsum Panel is an excellent choice when moisture is a concern. The product can be used anywhere standard gypsum board is used, but it provides extra protection for wet areas and the moisture-prone interior side of exterior walls and any space where long-term moisture exposure is a concern.
- Fiberglass Mat – Resists moisture and adds strength with inorganic glass mat embedded in the gypsum core on the face, back and sides
- Inhibits Mold Growth – Earns the highest possible score on mold tests (ASTM D3273)
Finish with mold- and mildew-resistant joint compounds.
ProForm® joint compounds are formulated with mold and mildew resistance for a final layer of protection in commercial interiors. They consistently test higher than competitor products on the ASTM D3273 Standard Test Method for Resistance to Growth of Mold on the Surface of Interior Coatings in an Environmental Chamber. ProForm Joint Compounds with Dust-Tech® score a 10 out of 10 on ASTM D3273.
As long as the building is intact, these exterior sheathing, roof board, interior gypsum board and finishing products will remain mold, mildew, and moisture resistant for years of worry-free service.
Visit the National Gypsum specifications resource page to obtain the three-part guide, drop-in and master specifications for your next project.
Related Blog Posts
High-performance building products contribute to safety and resiliency
Discover how National Gypsum provided health and safety solutions...Read More
PURPLE drywall helps Cote Drywall tackle humidity and mold
Learn how this family-owned business taps National Gypsum Company...Read More