High-performance building products contribute to safety and resiliency
Discover how National Gypsum provided health and safety solutions for Novant Health
Novant Health’s Claudia W. & John M. Belk Heart & Vascular Institute and the Agnes B. & Edward I. Weisiger Cancer Institute share a noble purpose: to provide a single location for everything heart, vascular and cancer patients need — from cardiac rehabilitation and infusion therapy to lab tests and physician consultations.
“This facility shows the dedication of Novant Health to the Charlotte community. Novant Health provided a new facility that combines the Cancer and Heart & Vascular service lines while providing greater access and convenience to ease the challenging care journey for the heart and cancer patient, their families, and the caregivers."
Grace O. Murray
Grace O. MurrayPresident, Director and ArchitectMcCulloch England Associates Architects
Previously, heart, vascular and cancer treatment teams were spread across two dozen locations in the greater Charlotte, North Carolina, area. Bringing together multiple disciplines created the potential for new treatment solutions driven by cross-disciplinary collaboration, all to benefit patients.
In designing the new, centralized facility on the Novant Health Presbyterian Medical Center Charlotte campus, architects solved multiple challenges, including:
- Fire safety: Build a fire-rated elevated walkway connecting the new facility and existing medical office building; design fire safety into the building to provide for evacuation, shelter-in-place and hazardous materials protection.
- Moisture and mold resistance: Design mold/mildew/moisture resistance into every aspect of the building, from showers and operating rooms to interior areas such as shaftwalls exposed to the elements during construction.
- Abuse resistance: Protect mechanical rooms.
- Exterior weather resistance: Prevent moisture damage to the building’s exterior during construction.
- Indoor air quality: Ensure good indoor air quality for patients and staff who spend extended periods inside the facility.
Download the case study to learn how architects solved these challenges with high-performance building products from National Gypsum affiliate companies Gold Bond Building Products and ProForm Finishing Products.
Related Blog Posts
How to construct curved surfaces with gypsum board
Use the flexibility of gypsum board to bring form and function to...Read More
How to design fire and sound wall assemblies by building type
National Gypsum Company’s newest AIA-approved continuing educatio...Read More